Saturday, June 14, 2008

My coming out (well, sort of...)

This is not a true coming out--it is done under complete anonymity--but it is me adding my voice to the many others out there on the blogosphere who use their blogs to share stories, seek help, offer encouragement, and to express thoughts that can't be expressed out in their "real world."

Who am I? A few of the things that identify me are: student (in a seminary), minister (in the Bible belt), and progressive evangelical (in a not-so-progressive church). I am also gay, which makes every other facet of my life considerably difficult.

I have resisted the acknowledgement of this part of my life for a long time--initially rejecting it and then accepting it but ignoring it, hoping it will not ever be an issue. But, as I read, experience, and think, I am having to acknowledge that I am called to help others in this situation. I've never cared for the term "calling" but this I feel more strongly than perhaps any other calling on my life.

So, here I am. I am desperate to hear from others in similar situations, or even those in very different situations who care or even those dissent with my positions. I will be sharing more thoughts from time to time, and I look forward to hearing your stories as well.

Blessings to you!

4 comments:

gay, christian and scared shitless said...

Hey, join the club. We're a special beed; gay and christian.
Drop me an email some time.

KJ said...

Hey, JX! Greetings! Bumped into you over at "Hidden's" place, and wanted to wish you joy and peace on the journey.

Stuck, I'm not sure that we're THAT special, by which I take you to mean "unique." I went 40 years thinking that I was the only Christian gay man on the planet, until the Spirit told me it was time for full authenticity. I resisted; resistance was futile, so I headed out. It was only then that I discovered the breadth of Christ's church on earth, by which I do not necessarily mean the "organized" church. It was also then that I discovered how much more effective I was, unique, if you will, in sharing my faith since I didn't fit a stereotype very well. "How can you be Christian AND gay?" or "Why would a gay man want to be Christian?" are questions that begin very interesting discussions. I was also blessed to learn that rather than trying to "convert" others to my point of view, how I lived out the Gospel was much more important, simply loving people where they are and allow the Spirit to change hearts and minds. This is typically antithetical to evangelical church "methodology" where the emphasis is to make sure the faithful are "safe" behind church walls and only those with "correct" beliefs are allowed to enter as full members.

Of course, it does not come without cost, as full authenticity typically leads to departure from the faith homes of our youth. But I can say with great enthusiasm, for me, that turned out to be a very blessed thing. I wouldn't change a thing.

Peace of Christ

Mikey said...

Hey there, JX. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

And "amen" kj.

Adam said...

First off, I want to say that I do not know the strength of your faith nor all of your faith's teachings so I don't want this to come off wrong. IMO, and if I'm selfish for saying it so be it, but your first calling should be to yourself. We are all G-d's children and we all have the right to find our true happiness in how G-d created us. Some unfortunately just later than others. So we are both in this together.